Mysore Paints & Varnish Ltd., was established during 1937 by Nalwadi Krishnaraja Wodeyar, then the Maharaja of Mysore province under the nomenclature “Mysore Lac & Paint Works Ltd”. During 1989,it was renamed as “Mysore Paints & Varnish Ltd.,”.
The rationale behind the establishment of the factory was to provide employment opportunities locally and for effective utilization of the natural resources of the forest. The item called “Lac” was used for the manufacture of sealing waxes. Apart from that paints were manufactured and supplied to the Govt. Departments and Defense Department particularly for war tanks during those days.
The above unit was converted into public Limited company during 1947 as one of the public sector Undertaking, now it is one among the prominent undertakings from Govt. of Karnataka.